Welcome to the Middle Class Scholarship Information Page!
Please bookmark and refer to this page often. We are continuously partnering with the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) to confirm MCS eligibility and award amounts throughout the year. Should you have any questions or concerns about your MCS award you may refer back to this page for the most up to date information.
How is my MCS award amount determined?
Your 2023-24 MCS award amount is based on information from your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA), your other financial aid awards as reported by the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office, and your estimated cost of attendance. Your MCS award is therefore subject to change if any of this information changes throughout the year.
- The California Student Aid Commission discovered a calculation error within the MCS formula related to Cal Grants, which has delayed the finalization of MCS awards.
- Currently, MCS awards are posted to all award packages as estimated awards. There is nothing you need to do in order to confirm or accept the award.
- If confirmed, your estimated MCS award will be converted to a true award.
- We do not currently have an estimated date of when this might occur.
- Your award will not be finalized by our initial disbursement date of August 14th, or the fee payment deadline of August 18th.
The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office team is here to support you. Review the information provided below to learn more about the scholarship and additional resources.
- If you have not already, we encourage you to review the Middle Class Scholarship webpage.
- Review the 2023-24 income and asset ceilings for Middle Class Scholarship applicants.
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding your MCS eligibility for the 2023-24 award year, please review your WebGrants 4 Students (WG4S) account which provides secure and easy access to your awarding status.
- Bookmark and monitor financialaid.berkeley.edu/mcs-updates where we will post important program updates as they become available.
The Official Fee Payment Due Date for Fall is August 18, 2023
- Paying at least 20% of tuition and fees by this deadline is an important step in ensuring that you will be officially registered and have access to campus services such as library privileges, the Recreational Sports Facility and University Health Services.
- If you make a payment out of pocket, you may be reimbursed if your eligibility for an MCS award is confirmed and the funds are disbursed.
- The Billing and Payment Services Office offers a Fee Payment Plan (FPP) that allows you to pay your semester tuition and fee charges on a monthly basis. You can sign up via your CalCentral account.
- If you are in need of funds while we confirm your MCS program eligibility, the application for Fall 2023 emergency loans will become available on August 16.
- If you need support beyond the options outlined above, please contact Cal Student Central.